Why does India Excel in Software arena.. the following article
may give you some back ground. These facts were recently
published in one of the German Magazine which deals with the
- India never invaded any country in her last 10000 years
- India invented the Number System. Zero was invented by
- The World's first university was established in Takshila
in 700 BC. More than 10,500 students from all over the
world studied more than 60 subjects. The University of
Nalanda built in the 4th century CE was one of the
greatest achievements of ancient India in the field of
- Sanskrit is the mother of all the European languages.
Sanskrit is the most suitable language for the computer
software - a report in Forbes magazine, July 1987.
- Ayurveda is the earliest school of medicine known to
humans. Charaka, the father of medicine consolidated
Ayurveda 2500 years ago. Today Ayurveda is fast regaining
its rightful place in our civilization.
- Although modern images of India often show poverty and
lack of development, India was the richest country on
earth until the time of British in the early 17th
Century. Cristopher Columbus was attracted by her wealth.
- The art of Navigation was born in the river Sindh 6000
years ago. The very word Navigation is derived from the
Sanskrit word NAVGATIH.
- The word navy is also derived from Sanskrit 'Nou'.
- Bhaskaracharya calculated the time taken by the earth to
orbit the sun hundreds of years before the astronomer
Smart. Time taken by earth to orbit the sun: (5th
century) 365.258756484 days.
- The value of "pi" was first calculated by
Budhayana, and he explained the concept of what is known
as the Pythagorean Theorem.
- He discovered this in the 6th century long before the
- Algebra, trigonometry and calculus came from India.
- Quadratic eqations were propounded by Sridharacharya in
the 11th century.
- The largest numbers the Greeks and the Romans used were
106 whereas Hindus used numbers as big as 10**53(10 to
the power of 53) with specific names as early as 5000 BCE
during the Vedic period. Even today, the largest used
number is Tera: 10**12(10 to the power of 12).
- According to the Gemological Institute of America, up
until 1896, India was the only source for diamonds to the
- USA based IEEE has proved what has been a century old
suspicion in the world scientific community that the
pioneer of wireless communication was Prof Jagdeesh Bose
and not Marconi.
- The earliest reservoir and dam for irrigation was built
in Saurashtra. According to Saka King Rudradaman I of 150
CE a beautiful lake aptly called 'Sudarshana' was
onstructed on the hills of Raivataka during Chandragupta
Maurya's time. Chess (Shataranja or AshtaPada) was
invented in India.
- Sushruta is the father of surgery. 2600 years ago he and
health scientists of his time conducted complicated
surgeries like cesareans, cataract, artificial limbs,
fractures, urinary stones and even plastic surgery and
- Usage of anesthesia was well known in ancient India. Over
125 surgical equipments were used.
- Deep knowledge of anatomy, physiology, etiology,
embryology, digestion, metabolism, genetics and immunity
is also found in many texts.
- When many cultures were only nomadic forest dwellers over
5000 years ago, Indians established Harappan culture in
Sindhu Valley (Indus Valley Civilization).
- The place value system, the decimal system was developed
in India in 100 BC.